For this portfolio task I took the Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) test, and the Visual, Auditory, Reading/Writing, and Kinesthetic learning (VARK) test, and then discussed my results and how they apply to me as a teacher. I really enjoyed this portfolio task, and I feel that it allowed me to learn a lot about myself.
I completely agree with my MBTI results, but not for the same reason that most people do. Within one week I have been INFJ - The Advocate, INFP - The Mediator, INTJ - The Architect, and INTP - The Logician. This is due to the fact that my results are split approximately 50/50 on both nature (thinking or feeling) and tactics (judging or prospecting). I believe this is largely due to how the phrasing of the questions clashes with my inattentive-type ADHD. Some questions on the MBTI test ask how you would prefer to accomplish a task, while others ask how you would accomplish a task. For example, I would prefer to plan everything out weeks in advance, but I usually end up starting a task three days before its due because I simply cannot find the motivation to work on it that far before it needs to be done. Another example of this is this very assignment, I would prefer to have typed out an outline and several rough drafts, but instead I am using voice to text to lay out the bulk of the assignment as I get distracted far too easily when typing. It is for this reason that I feel the constant flux and lack of consistency within my MBTI results perfectly reflects my personality.
Interestingly enough, my VARK results are just as inconclusive as my MBTI results. I have taken this test several times for several different courses, and each time I seem to get a different result. This is due to the fact that my scores for visual, reading/writing, and kinesthetic learning are practically tied, and fluctuate based on the specific questions posed by each individual quiz. That being said, I do think that this blend of results perfectly reflects how I learn. Take my studying method for instance. I start by turning all of my notes into two types of flashcards: reading and visual. The “reading” flashcards have a topic/word on one side and an explanation/definition on the other side, while the “visual” flashcards have instructions on one side and diagrams on the other (e.g., the instructions “draw and label the process of mitosis on a piece of looseleaf” on one side, and a properly labeled diagram on the other). I typically study these flashcards while pacing around my dorm room. This studying method fulfills all three aspects of my learning style.
I believe that variation shown in my MBTI and VARK results will benefit me greatly as a teacher. Each student has their own unique method of learning, and the diversity present within my own methods of learning will allow me to better understand the needs of each individual student. There are several minor issues I may encounter, such as my clear lack of planning and organizational skills. That being said, my time management skills have improved drastically over the past several months due to pressures from university, which will most likely prove beneficial in my future career as a teacher.
Comments
Post a Comment