For this portfolio entry I am going to be focusing on three different instructional strategies I plan to use as a high school biology teacher. For each instruction strategy I will explain what the strategy is, how I would use it, why I would use it, and what gaps I would have to work around while using it.
Debate
Debate is creating a specific argument and then defending that argument with supporting evidence. Now you typically would not expect to find debate being used as an instructional method in a biology class, which is quite shocking since debate is one of the core aspects of scientific study. There are many different ways debate could be worked into a twelfth grade biology class; it could be used to debate whether or not viruses should be considered living organisms, the meaning behind the results of a test cross, or even the potential causes of various threats to biodiversity. Debates can be incredibly helpful to students, as in order to successfully defend your viewpoint, you must have a thorough understanding of the evidence that supports it. In addition to this, debates can provide students with a more complete understanding of the topic as a whole, serving to expand upon their preexisting thoughts and opinions. However there are several issues that may arise from debate, debates may devolve into arguments if not properly monitored, some students may not be able to participate due to anxiety, and students who are unsure of the topic may feel confused or lost. That being said, these issues could be negated with proper supervision and by having students opt in to doing the debate so that they do not feel like they are being forced into a situation that would make them uncomfortable.
Simulation
Simulation and science inherently go hand in hand. Science fairs, dissections, and testcrosses are all perfect examples of the simulation instructional method, as this method is centered around allowing students an opportunity to use what they have learned in an actual situation. This hands-on approach to learning can provide students with the “practical” portion of education that is so often overlooked, which can be incredibly beneficial to students who struggle to learn from more traditional instructional methods. I specifically plan to use Wisconsin Fast Plants as a way to teach my students about monohybrid and dihybrid crosses. I would provide each student with 3-5 seeds which they would be responsible for until the sprouts were mature, at which point we would chart and examine the class data. Of course there are potential issues with any simulation method, some students may be uncomfortable with dissections, some may be unable to present their project at the science fair due to anxiety, and the simulation itself may yield abnormal results. The first two issues could be dealt with by simply providing students with an opportunity to speak with you in private about any concerns they may have about the simulation, and the last provides a wonderful opportunity for discussion.
Brainstorming
Brainstorming is an instructional strategy best used to “get the ball rolling” and spark ideas in students by generating ideas and sharing knowledge among members of a group; this can be done as an activity for the whole class, or for smaller groups within the class. There are several ways I plan to use brainstorming within my classroom, but I am looking forward to using it as a method for introducing new topics the most. Essentially I plan to use brainstorming as an expanded “Know, Wonder, Learned” chart for the whole class, with each student contributing something they know or want to learn to the discussion. In order to avoid embarrassment or humiliation, I would make the activity anonymous, with each student writing what they know or wonder on a sticky note for me to place on the board at the front. This will allow students to learn from each other, and spark interest in the things they have yet to learn.
Comments
Post a Comment