My Thoughts on SK's and MB's Biology 30 Curricula

Saskatchewan’s Biology 30 Curriculum

Saskatchewan’s Biology 30 curriculum is simple, and straight to the point. It starts off by outlining the broad areas of learning and the cross-curricular competencies, which are a set of objectives designed to prepare students for life after school, regardless of whether or not they decide to pursue post-secondary education. These goals are incredibly broad and quite vague, making it easy for them to be applied to most lesson plans regardless of subject matter. There is also a heavy focus on the inquiry method of science, which involves the use of questions to guide students’ learning, rather than the old-school teaching method of talking at your students and hoping they pick up the information via osmosis and copious amounts of homework. The educational portion of the curriculum is broken up into outcomes and indicators. Outcomes are essentially what we expect of students, while indicators are how students “prove” that they can meet the outcomes. This document was generally quite easy to understand, and I believe that it provides an adequate understanding of what should be taught within the Biology 30 course. 


Manitoba’s Biology 30 Curriculum 

When I started looking at Manitoba’s Biology 30 curriculum I was immediately shocked by how much longer it was, with a staggering 514 pages. That being said, I do not think that this length is unnecessary as it contains information that is incredibly beneficial when it comes to teaching this age range and the specific course. The document begins by outlining the changes that need to take place in order to provide students with scientific knowledge that will serve to benefit them throughout their adult lives, rather than on provincial tests exclusively. This point really struck home with me because I think it is our duty as Educators to prepare students for their adult lives rather than for exams. The next section of the document outlines specific development factors that need to be taken into account when teaching twelfth graders, such as the busy nature of their personal lives as they prepare for university or independent living. One thing I really enjoyed about this section is that it also placed emphasis on the fact that students learn better when they see value and importance in what they are learning, which is something I often notice about myself. In addition to this there are many tips and tricks on how to gain students’ attention within the classroom, and help them see value in what they are learning. The educational portion of the curriculum is incredibly thorough; listing off definitions, key concepts, and learning outcomes students should be taught within each unit. The section of the document also contains many suggestions for potential activities and assessments. While the Manitoba curriculum may appear to be incredibly prescriptive at first, all of the activities, assignments, and assessments listed throughout are referred to as “suggestions,” not requirements. 


My Thoughts

After reading through both of these documents I have to say that I prefer Manitoba's Biology 30 curriculum. While this curriculum may appear to be prescriptive in nature, it only dictates what is being taught, not how it is being taught. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think that it is incredibly important in some courses, such as biology, for teachers to be provided with clear guidelines as to what must be taught each year. Biology 30 is a university entrance course, meaning that the only students who decide to take it are either planning to attend university, or are incredibly passionate about biology. I grew up on the Manitoba curriculum, and I can safely say that if I did not, I would be retaking BIOL 120 next term. The education I received throughout high school perfectly prepared me for my university biology courses by providing me with all of the background information I required to understand the advanced subject matter. This is where the Saskatchewan curriculum falls short. For roughly two months now I have been tutoring one of my roommates who is also taking BIOL 120. She received a high 80 as a final mark in Biology 30, but has no knowledge of the key concepts of biology. This is because her biology teacher was able to mold his personal interests enough to fit the vague learning objectives of Saskatchewan’s Biology 30 curriculum.

I can see how from the perspective of an educator Saskatchewan’s Biology 30 curriculum is far more desirable. That being said, I am not pursuing a career in education to teach people about my special interests, if I was I would simply start a podcast. I am pursuing a career in education because I love teaching people and helping people. While teaching students about your special interests may be fun, it does not necessarily benefit them in any way.

Comments