Assessment For Learning
Assessment for learning is a type of formative assessment in which educators gear their teaching around feedback from learners. This type of assessment focuses on improving student understanding and allowing students to learn from their mistakes. The most prominent example of assessment for learning that I have encountered throughout my high school education took place in my ninth grade math class. After the majority of my class performed incredibly poorly on a unit test, the teacher decided to reteach the unit in a manner that was better suited to our style of learning. I found that I gained a much better understanding of the content present within the unit after she revised her teaching strategies.
Assessment As Learning
Assessment as learning is a type of learning that allows students to take their learning into their own hands. This type of learning encourages students to be involved in their own learning by asking questions, creating their own goals, and self reflection. From my own experience as a learner I have found that assessment as learning can be either conspicuous or inconspicuous. An example of conspicuous assessment as learning I have experienced would be the self evaluation charts I had to fill out in many of my English classes. I found this type of assessment to be stress inducing, as many of the questions revolved around how hard you had tried, and even though I had tried my best I felt guilty vocalizing the amount of effort I had put in. An example of inconspicuous assessment as learning I have experienced would be my eleventh and twelfth grade graphic design courses. These courses were designed to be as self-led as possible, with the only learning outcomes being create stuff, learn stuff, and improve your capabilities as an artist. As long as you could prove that you met these outcomes in some form by the end of the year, you were guaranteed a good grade.
Assessment Of Learning
Assessment of learning is the type of assessment most commonly associated with education. Often referred to as summative assessment, this type of assessment focuses on using evidence of students’ learning, such as exams and essays, to determine how well they have met certain learning objectives or outcomes. I have encountered this type of assessment in nearly all of my high school courses. Some examples include essays in English, final exams in math, research papers in biology, in-class assignments in social studies, and worksheets in band. Each of these assessments was graded, assigned a numerical value, and used to rank my understanding of certain concepts to determine whether or not I had successfully met the learning outcomes.
Utilization In My Classroom
There are several ways that I plan to incorporate each of these assessment types into my teaching as a high school biology teacher. I plan to provide students with exit slips after each lesson, which they can fill out with questions regarding the material covered or suggestions regarding my method of instruction. This would allow students to be involved in their own learning by determining which areas they are struggling in and by reaching out for help; meeting the definition of assessment as learning. In addition to this, I would be able to use student feedback to identify common areas of misunderstanding to inform my teaching, which would be a type of assessment for learning. In terms of assessment of learning, I plan to emphasize student choice within my classroom by presenting students with a wide variety of potential assessment types. These potential assessments will include tests, papers, presentations, and more hands-on projects like experiments. Some units will have an assessment of learning that is more set-in-stone, while others will be much more open to student choice.
Comments
Post a Comment